APEBA’s After-School Tutoring program is aimed at helping children from new immigrants and low income families in the South East quadrant of the City of Calgary. The program is a drop-out prevention program for those who are susceptible to dropping out of school due to high cost of private tutoring or negative influence from gang groups.
The tutoring program has one main objective:
- To allow low income students to receive tutoring services that they would not normally be able to afford.
- Student attitude and behavior will improve and self-esteem will be enhanced.
- Student achievement and motivation for learning will increase.
- Appropriate student behavior will be modeled and reinforced.
- Help youth avoid joining gang related groups.
- Create a positive pastime.
- Take burden out of the families’ already stretched income to pay for private tutors.